Friday, August 28, 2009

Helping and learning go hand in hand...


Salutations yogis/yoginis! I must confess that I'm very proud of my son... he always teaches me valuable lessons and I feel blessed to have such wonderful teacher.

Yesterday, as we drove back from school, he told me he was impressed with the number of classmates asking him for help in math. "And I don't think I'm that good mom..." he said. I asked him how he felt about helping his friends, and he told me he felt good about it. He has a natural desire to be helpful... not at home, of course. Don't even think about asking him to put the garbage out! "This is child exploitation mom!" However, when he sees a friend in dire need of help, he won't think twice to come to his rescue. And there, in the car, I told him that when we help someone is when we have the opportunity to learn. You learn more every time you help.

I remember my first year as an elementary school teacher. I had just graduated, and felt I knew absolutely nothing that I could teach to my class. The same feeling came to me when I started teaching yoga: "What can I possibly share or teach? I am not that good at it..." I came to the conclusion that, as time goes by and you stick with the idea that you can be of help, and you're going to try your best to help one, two, ten, or twenty people, you realize that you are learning more than you ever thought possible by serving another. I helped children for 10 years, and they taught me much. As for yoga... I'm learning with you... and from you...

Live from the heart, help and learn with and from others.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment